Submission Period: February 1 - March 10, 2018
Guest Editor: Jeanie Tomasko
Col-labor-ate: to work together / col com con: Latin prefixes meaning with, together, jointly
think: compound: to be joined
companion: one to eat bread with
compose: to put together
compassion: to suffer with
Sooooooooo …. For this issue of Bramble, we are looking for with together work, which can take shape in a variety of forms. Consider:
A poem by two people: exquisite corpse
A poem inspired by art: ekphrastic
Art work inspired by poetry*
Or, something new!
I love what happens when people get together to con-coct (cook up!) art. You might say: 1 + 1 = 2, but I say 1 + 1 = 3 because what is created is an “other” that no one was anticipating.
We look forward to reading your collaborations, your community, your composures and learning about your processes and who you “take bread with” on your journey into art.
In submitting your work, please include an epigraph note (ex. After Van Gogh’s Starry Night) or an endnote when necessary. We also welcome poems in pairs that respond to each other. To that end, we’ll be accepting up to 4 poems. Please be sure to identify if a poem has more than one author, but only submit once.
*Please also know that we are limited to publishing black & white artwork in the interior of our print issue. Color artwork submitted will be considered for the cover of the print issue, or for our web issue only.
Jeanie Tomasko is the author of a few books of poetry, first of which was Tricks of Light (Parallel Press), and forthcoming early 2018 from Red Bird Chapbooks, dear little fist. All of her books published in-between can be found on her website, jeanietomasko.com. including three poetry/art collaborative works she put together with her friend and WFOP member, Sharon Auberle. She works as a home health nurse in Madison, Wisconsin.
- We will only consider unsolicited submissions from WFOP members. Please send one submission of up to 4 poems (of any length and style) to email@example.com. Please put your last name and "Bramble Submission" in the subject line. In the body of the email please include a cover letter, poet pic, a 50 word bio, and your poems. Please do not submit poems as a separate attachment.
- Poems are read blind. Submissions are collected and sent to our guest editor scrubbed of any identifying info.
- No previously published poems; no simultaneous submissions.
- Please make only one submission to Bramble per issue.
- If your work was accepted in the last issue of Bramble, we ask that you wait out a cycle before you submit again.
- If you submitted but your work did not appear, we would welcome an opportunity to consider your work for the next issue. Our guest editors will often choose poems to include based on narrative arc or cohesiveness, so keep trying!
- Quarterly issues include: Winter 2018, Spring 2018, Summer 2018 and Fall 2018.
- Contributing authors and artists will receive one contributor's copy of the print issue.
- If you are interested in providing original artwork for the cover, please query at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WFOP is an inclusive and accommodating group. Benefits of membership are listed here. If you have any questions or concerns about membership please contact our membership chair at email@example.com. Membership is calendar year based from January to December. Join here.
If you would like to receive email notifications from Bramble about Bramble news or new Bramble releases please sign-up below. The magazine will issue quarterly by season: winter, spring, summer and fall.