Theme: No Theme
Submission Period: November 1 - December 10, 2017
Guest Editor: Cathryn Cofell
Our Guest Editor's "Challenge":
I’m fascinated by Bramble’s mission – to celebrate the challenging and transgressive spirit of poetry – and would like to explore this notion more deeply. Challenging can mean poetry that makes us look at the world differently, as well as poetry that challenges a reader’s notion of what a poem can or should be. Challenging poetry can surprise, unsettle, or make us uncomfortable.
I’d like you to tell me what challenging means. I’m looking for work that you believe directly correlates to this idea – poetry that knows the rules but chooses to violate them, that goes beyond the traditional limits of etiquette, form, function, topic, meaning.
About Cathryn Cofell
Cathryn Cofell is the author of Sister Satellite and six chapbooks, most recently Split Personality with Karla Huston. You can also listen to her on Lip, a CD of her poems set to the music of Obvious Dog. Her work appears in such places as the New York Quarterly, North American Review, Oranges & Sardines, Prairie Schooner and Dirty Napkin and has garnered numerous awards including the Lehman Poetry Prize, the Wisconsin Academy Best Poem Award and multiple Pushcart nominations. She’s a tireless advocate for poetry, including work with former governor Tommy Thompson to establish the Wisconsin Poet Laureate Commission. She has served on the board of the Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets and has helped to launch and promote, among others, Verse Wisconsin, the Fox Cities Book Festival, the Foot of the Lake Poetry Collective, the WFOP Chapbook Prize and the Draw Poetry Series.
- We will only consider unsolicited submissions from WFOP members. Please send one submission of 1-3 poems (of any length and style) to email@example.com. Please put your last name and "Bramble Submission" in the subject line. In the body of the email please include a cover letter, poet pic, a 50 word bio, and your poems. Please do not submit poems as a separate attachment.
- Poems are read blind. Submissions are collected and sent to our guest editor scrubbed of any identifying info.
- No previously published poems; no simultaneous submissions.
- Please make only one submission to Bramble per issue.
- If your work was accepted in the last issue of Bramble, we ask that you wait out a cycle before you submit again.
- If you submitted but your work did not appear, we would welcome an opportunity to consider your work for the next issue. Our guest editors will often choose poems to include based on narrative arc or cohesiveness, so keep trying!
- Quarterly issues include: Winter 2017, Spring 2017, Summer 2017 and Fall 2017.
- Contributing authors and artists will receive one contributor's copy of the print issue.
- If you are interested in providing original artwork for the cover, please query at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WFOP is an inclusive and accommodating group. Benefits of membership are listed here. If you have any questions or concerns about membership please contact our membership chair at email@example.com. Membership is calendar year based from January to December. Join here.
If you would like to receive email notifications from Bramble about Bramble news or new Bramble releases please sign-up below. The magazine will issue quarterly by season: winter, spring, summer and fall.