Theme: Everyday Magic
Submission Period: August 1 - September 10, 2017
Guest Editor: Sandra Lindow
About Everyday Magic
The gingham dog has filed for divorce from the calico cat. The crock pot is having an affair with Mr. Coffee. Could she be pregnant with new purpose? Outside the sunlight on the geraniums lifts the spirit, but the shadow under the cottonwood suggests the tree has moved ever so slightly toward the political left. Perspective, perception, imagination, how do these forces work together causing us to see the same things, experience the same events but write very different poems? This edition of Bramble looks for poems that celebrate Everyday Magic, poems that are rooted in the here and now but slip subtly or suddenly into the magical: work that expresses domestic fabulism, magic realism or simply interstitial whimsy. We are also interested in experimental forms; please feel free to send the wonderfully strange.
About Sandra Lindow
Sandra J Lindow has received 22 Rhysling nominations and published seven books of poetry: Rooted in the Earth, Heroic Housewife Papers, A Celebration of Bones, Revision Quest, Walking the Labyrinth, Touched by the Gods, and The Hedge Witch’s Upgrade. Since 1987, she has served as West Central Vice President of the Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets. In 2015, she was elected Vice President of the Science Fiction Poetry Association.
- We will only consider unsolicited submissions from WFOP members. Please send one submission of 1-3 poems (of any length and style) to email@example.com. Please put your last name and "Bramble Submission" in the subject line. In the body of the email please include a cover letter, poet pic, brief bio, and your poems. Please do not submit poems as a separate attachment.
- Poems are read blind. Submissions are collected and sent to our guest editor scrubbed of any identifying info.
- No previously published poems; no simultaneous submissions.
- Please make only one submission to Bramble per issue.
- If your work was accepted in the last issue of Bramble, we ask that you wait out a cycle before you submit again.
- If you submitted but your work did not appear, we would welcome an opportunity to consider your work for the next issue. Our guest editors will often choose poems to include based on narrative arc or cohesiveness, so keep trying!
- Quarterly issues include: Winter 2017, Spring 2017, Summer 2017 and Fall 2017.
- Contributing authors and artists will receive one contributor's copy of the print issue.
- If you are interested in providing original artwork for the cover, please query at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WFOP is an inclusive and accommodating group. Benefits of membership are listed here. If you have any questions or concerns about membership please contact our membership chair at email@example.com. Membership is calendar year based from January to December. Join here.
If you would like to receive email notifications from Bramble about Bramble news or new Bramble releases please sign-up below. The magazine will issue quarterly by season: winter, spring, summer and fall.